Calmoseptine ointmentGeneric Name:
Brand Names: Calmoseptine ointment
What is Calmoseptine ointment?
Preventing and treating minor skin irritations (eg, caused by cuts, scrapes, minor burns, perspiration, itching, wound drainage).
Calmoseptine ointment is an analgesic,antiseptic , antipruritic, and skin protectant combination. It works by temporarily relieving itching and pain. It also decreases moisture in the affected area.
Important information about Calmoseptine ointment
Do NOT use Calmoseptine ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Calmoseptine ointment
- you are treating a deep wound or puncture wound
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
What should I discuss with my health care provider before using Calmoseptine ointment?
Some medical conditions may interact with Calmoseptine ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Calmoseptine ointment. However, no specific interactions with Calmoseptine ointment are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Calmoseptine ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How should I use Calmoseptine ointment?
Use Calmoseptine ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Gently wash the affected area. Pat dry or allow to air dry.
- Apply a thin layer of Calmoseptine ointment to the affected area as directed by your doctor or the package labeling. Rub in gently.
- Wash your hands right away after using Calmoseptine ointment, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of Calmoseptine ointment and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Calmoseptine ointment.
Important safety information
- Calmoseptine ointment is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse at once with cool water.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Calmoseptine ointment to treat deep wounds or puncture wounds.
- If you may have taken Calmoseptine ointment by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Calmoseptine ointment while you are pregnant. It is not known if Calmoseptine ointment is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Calmoseptine ointment, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Calmoseptine ointment
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue ).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.
Proper storage of Calmoseptine ointment
Store Calmoseptine ointment at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Calmoseptine ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Calmoseptine ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calmoseptine ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Calmoseptine ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Calmoseptine ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Calmoseptine ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Calmoseptine ointment.