ThyroidGeneric Name: Thyroid
Brand Names: Armour Thyroid
Thyroid is used for:
Treating underactive thyroid. It is also used for treating or preventing certain goiters and as an aid in diagnosing certain thyroid conditions.
Thyroid is a thyroid hormone. It works by replacing thyroid hormones that are not being produced by the body.
Do NOT use Thyroid if:
- You are allergic to any ingredient in Thyroid
- You have certain untreated adrenal gland problems or untreated high thyroid hormone levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Thyroid
Some medical conditions may interact with Thyroid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of chest pain, heart attack, heart blood vessel problems, or other heart problems
- if you have a history of diabetes, overactive thyroid, long-term underactive thyroid, infertility, swelling of the skin (particularly around the eyes and cheeks), or pituitary gland problems, or if you will be having surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Thyroid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Calcium, cholestyramine, colestipol, estrogen, hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), or iron because they may decrease Thyroid's effectiveness
- Digoxin, insulin, or oral hypoglycemic agents (eg, glyburide) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Thyroid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Thyroid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.