What is hypertension?
Hypertension is when blood pressure becomes too high. It is a very common condition in men and can cause many health issues, including erectile dysfunction. High blood pressure often has no signs or symptoms, however when it comes to your sex life it can become apparent and affect your overall satisfaction through sex.
How can it affect your sex life?
Hypertension occurs when the high blood pressure causes the blood vessel lining damage and this causes arteries to harden and narrow which then limits blood flow to the penis. When blood flow is decreased, it makes it very difficult for men to achieve and maintain erections prior or during intercourse. This issue is referred to as erectile dysfunction.
What other health problems can occur through hypertension?
Hypertension can lead to a multitude of health complications. Excessive blood pressure can cause arteries to harden and also decrease the ability for blood and oxygen to flow to the heart. The pressure and lowered flow of blood can cause:
- Angina, also known as chest pain
- Heart attack or failure
- Irregular heart beat potentially leading to sudden death
- Block or bursting of arteries
- Lack of oxygen to the brain resulting in stroke
- Kidney damage or failure
How can you reduce hypertension symptoms to prevent serious illness?
- Introduce more fruits and vegetables to your diet
- Limit ingesting foods with high saturated fats
- Reduce trans fats or remove it from your diet completely
- Reducing salt intake to less than 5g daily
- Adopt a physically active routine
- Reduce alcohol consumption
- Avoiding using tobacco
- Learn to reduce and manage your stress
- Routine blood pressure check
- Create a treatment plan with your doctor
When to talk to your doctor about your erectile dysfunction
When you're living with high blood pressure you don't have to stop having sexual intercourse. Your doctor can help you manage your ED symptoms with treatment to help you with any of your sexually related challenges. Your physician may recommend certain medications for erectile dysfunction such as sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis) and vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn). These pills are approved for men with good health and also considered to help men with high blood pressure.
However, for those suffering with severe cardiovascular issues the ED medications may not be recommended as it could cause further urinary issues. Talk to your doctor about any other health related issues that could arise when taking the above medications mentioned.
For pricing on ED medications please visit us at: